English-style garden with animal pasture and beautiful monuments: castle ruin, courthouse, small castle, water mill and castle farm.
garden with animal pasture and beautiful monuments:
Grand Castle (dating before 1397)
This castle, dating somewhere before 1397, is like a square, gothic building showing some Renaissance influences, and was founded by the ‘Heren van Doerne’ (Lords of Deurne). This family already owned property in 1383 in what was referred to as ‘t Haghe-eynde. In the 17th and 18th centuries, the castle was rebuilt twice. During the 1906-08 restoration, parts were taken down again and the castle trimmed down to a shape and size equal to the one from the middle of the 17th century. During the liberation of Deurne in 1944, the castle was largely destroyed by fire, after which the ruin was fortified in 1952.
Courthouse (16th century)
Up to the French era, this ‘lower house’, an annex to the Grand Castle, served as courthouse and meeting place of the court). The court - consisting of seven aldermen and the , bailiff - administered justice from here up to the beginning of the 19th century. Judgments were pronounced under the lime tree in front of the house. The ‘prison’ was located in a cellar of the castle. During the restoration in 1965, the 16th-century high-quality timber framing of the former annex was discovered.
Small Castle (from before 1383)
This castle formed the first residence of the Lords of Deurne and is also referred to as the ‘Hoff van Doirne’. This old castle initially consisted of a square residential tower that was built in the 14th century. In the 18th century, a stable building was added and around 1850, the saddleback-roofed house. After the new castle was built across the road, the small castle was home to various bailiffs. In the 1920s, artist Otto van Rees lived here, as did, somewhat later, artist Pieter Wiegersma.
This watermill by the Vlier has facade anchors which suggest that the building stems from as far back as 1631; in its current form it dates back to 1690. In 1816, the mill was put out of action because a post mill had been built in the village. In 1980, the listed building was renovated and in 1994 a new waterwheel was suspended in the lock.
Castle farm (1804)
This North Brabant long-gabled farm has grilling stating the year of its construction (1804). This listed building borders on the castle park and was built by order of the lord of the castle. The business section was renovated in 1973 and rebuilt to become a house. The original thatched roof with one ‘foot’ of tiles was replaced by a tiled roof in view of fire safety.